Thursday 21 May 2015

Brief 1 - Anona Evaluation


Evaluation
Brief 1 – Anona Bakery

Create a brand and identity that would clearly show the influences of ancient Rome. Whilst remaining relevant to a contemporary audience. 

Although not necessarily graphic design related, I learned how to bake bread during the course of this brief, which seemed like at first it was going to amount to a lot but in the end it proved completely unsuccessful. To make up for this fact I decided to buy bread from the supermarket when it came to photography. Because of this I put a lot more effort into creating the ‘look’ rather than the actual design of the work. This wasn’t something that was intentionally, it just happened naturally as the brief progressed and I realised something weren’t going to be possible such as this and putting vinyl on the bottles which was going to be thin and creating purple bottle caps (to a high standard) for olive oil which was going to be the correct colour. So to make up for this, I invested in directing the photography to be more of an art direction piece. This wouldn’t have happened however if it wasn’t for the bread and various other things just not working out.

The benefit of this came from problem solving how I was going to resolve the brief, I needed it to look substantial, and I wanted it to be after all the research I had put into it.  So I bought and made props to cover the fact, which led to creating some of the best photographs I’ve taken in the past years are university.

If it doesn’t work, work around it.


Because of this, I’ve developed bit of a curiosity for wanting to pursue some more art direction because I really enjoyed it. It’s not something that really occurred to me before hand but it’s just a happy accident that came out of this brief. I made the most of what I could and it came out better than perhaps if I had just stuck to my original idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment