Saturday 8 November 2014

Brief 1 - Annona Patterns Inspiration

I want patterns to be a major part of my project, from looking at images of Rome in particular. I saw just how widespread mosaic patterns where throughout the Roman Empire. I thought they would be only common to certain regions but these geometric patterns where everywhere. 

I even found the same ones in holiday photos from when I was younger at Ephesus in Turkey. 
However this was originally a ancient greek city it was lived in by Romans during it's life time. 

 A lot of mosaic makers where Greeks. This is evident in the style similarities and used of borders. It makes sense they would have a huge influence considering they where so close to each other. But that's not all:


The below images are from the book 'Italian pavements patterns in space':































The images here are from an assortment of different books on Roman art and history:












No comments:

Post a Comment