Monday 6 October 2014

Brief 1 - Arbeia Visit (PRIMARY)

http://www.twmuseums.org.uk/arbeia.html

This is actually where the idea for my Roman bread brief came from, I visited the ancient roman fort ruin in south shields during the Summer break. I wanted to revisit here because I hadn't been since I was in school and It was a place that fascinated me. Plus It men't I was close to go to IKEA as well. Which was a bonus. However, these following images are the ones I took of everything I thought might be relevant if I was to base something around Rome in one way or another.

This includes the following such as art, text, decorations, architecture and pottery.










This piece of art that was made on a piece of the cheek plate from a Roman helmet really caught my attention. Simply because of the technique used, I hadn't ever seen roman art work crafted in this way, It reminded me a lot of stippling. I really like the aesthetic of it, the little decorations along the top and bottom add so much character to it and the quality of the drawing of the man and horse them selves.







The above three where brooches and I really loved their charm, considering they're 1800 years old or so. They really stuck out.




The Following photos are from the reconstructed villa and barracks which where on site. 










The granary!



No comments:

Post a Comment