Wednesday 22 October 2014

Brief 1 - Colour

I wanted to try and contextualise my colour choices so I needed to research and see what colours where actually used. I grabbed all of the Roman art books I could find in the library which wasn't many, however the images that where in the books were incredibly helpful.

 I thought the best place to try and get colour inspiration for my brand would be from their fresco's and mosaics because they've lasted for so long. It's really surprising in the range of colours used and just how vibrant they've remained.












I created colour swatches from thumbnails of the images so I could easily swap out the colours to help me decide. Just a way to help streamline my design development.


I've not really decided on what I want the colours to be yet however, I want something warm, I really like the cream colours that I was able to colour pick from the art works.


Extra swatch: Italian flag.


Really Like the look of this, however may I'd tone down the cream. However the red works really well, it looks rich like stereotypical Roman red.






I wanted to find out more about the pigments they used and what they represented most of all. Also - Why red? - Why was red the most common colour found throughout the rest of my pictures from the library books.

I found this website which goes into detail about what was contained within the pigments them selves: 


Red came in a variety of colours and was popular in Rome. Vermillion Red was one of the most expensive reds however it was also sourced from ochre and iron

Black was as it is used to day, it was essential in paint work, for darkening colours as well as cheap to make. It came from smoke captured from the factories as well as from char. 

Indigo, purple and rich blue where the most expensive of colours. - The emperor was also the only person to be aloud to wear all purple in Rome. 

White was as it's used today, it was a cheap undercoat that often used for rooms that wouldn't get much use. 








No comments:

Post a Comment